From a weight loss perspective, being 'carb conscious' means being aware of 5 things:
• Vegetables are our top source of carbohydrate and fibre, won't pack on the pounds and should feature in all meals and snacks
• Fruits are also great but because of their relatively high fructose content should be limited to 2 to 3 portions per day
• Whole grains plus beans, lentils and legumes are filling and fibre-rich and should feature regularly in our diet but unless strenuous exercise is part and parcel of our daily routine, should always form a back-up to vegetables in every meal and snack
• White, refined carbohydrates can play a part in a healthy, fat loss diet but only when the portions are small and protein and fat-rich foods dominate
• Few of us can live without the occasional treat and whilst our 'treat of choice' is likely to be sugar and starch-rich and unlikely to hasten fat loss, it's not the devil incarnate so don't beat yourself up, make it occasional, relish every bite then forget it and move on – little damage will be done if you adopt this approach.