74 years old Kazungu Kandege Hamudi in class at Ganze Primary School in 2016 breaks into tears as he explains to journalists how he narrowly escaped death one of the reasons that make him go to school to seek refuge. 2nd February 2017. Photo Maureen Ongala
Friday, February 3, 2017
STARVING CHILD WHO WAS LEFT FOR DEAD BY HIS PARENTS WHO THOUGHT HE WAS A WITCH IS FULL OF JOY AS HE SETS OFF FOR HIS FIRST DAY AT SCHOOL ONE YEAR LATER AFTER AMAZING RECOVERY
Photographs of the little boy in Nigeria known as Hope broke the world's hearts last year (left) after a charity worker found him emaciated and riddled with worms after being abandoned. Having made a miraculous recovery, the now healthy-looking youngster set off to embark on his education in a strapping red outfit (right). Hope (inset) was dumped by his family because they thought he was a witch and was found in the streets by Anja Ringgren Loven, a Danish woman living in Africa, in January 2016
Saturday, November 26, 2016
FORMER CUBAN PRESIDENT FIDEL CASTRO, WHO LED THE COUNTRY FOR NEARLY HALF A CENTURY, IS HAILED AS THE 'SYMBOL OF AN ERA' AFTER HE DIES AGED 90
Fidel Castro, who led his native Cuba for nearly half a century and claimed to have survived more than 600 assassination attempts, has died at the age of 90.His younger brother, Raul Castro, announced on state television that the Communist revolutionary died on Friday night. World leaders have paid tribute to the revolutionary, who came to power in 1959, with former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev praising him for 'strengthening' his island nation. Russian President Vladimir Putin described him as a 'symbol of an era', and said he was a 'distinguished statesman'. Nine days of public mourning for the deceased Cuban leader have been announced, when 'public activities and shows' will cease, and flags will fly at half mast. The news was met with shock in Cuban capital Havana, but Castro's death was celebrated by exiles in the US (inset), where a Cuban-American US Congress representative branded the late leader 'a tyrant'. The controversial leader made his last official appearance before the country's Communist party in April and predicted that his death was near. Castro (pictured right with revolutionary icon Ernesto 'Che' Guevara in the early 1960s) was 32 when he overthrew dictator Fulgencio Batista's government in 1959. The US severed diplomatic ties in 1961, banning all exports to Cuba except for food and medicine. Castro's brother Raul and President Obama moved to restore diplomatic ties in December 2014.
Monday, November 7, 2016
Thursday, October 27, 2016
Wednesday, October 26, 2016
From a weight loss perspective, being 'carb conscious' means being aware of 5 things:
• Vegetables are our top source of carbohydrate and fibre, won't pack on the pounds and should feature in all meals and snacks
• Fruits are also great but because of their relatively high fructose content should be limited to 2 to 3 portions per day
• Whole grains plus beans, lentils and legumes are filling and fibre-rich and should feature regularly in our diet but unless strenuous exercise is part and parcel of our daily routine, should always form a back-up to vegetables in every meal and snack
• White, refined carbohydrates can play a part in a healthy, fat loss diet but only when the portions are small and protein and fat-rich foods dominate
• Few of us can live without the occasional treat and whilst our 'treat of choice' is likely to be sugar and starch-rich and unlikely to hasten fat loss, it's not the devil incarnate so don't beat yourself up, make it occasional, relish every bite then forget it and move on – little damage will be done if you adopt this approach.
Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Friday, October 21, 2016
'THEY CALL ME STEEL BLADES': INDIAN TEENAGER SHOWS OFF HIS SUPERHUMAN STRENGTH BY PULLING TWO CARS WITH HIS SHOULDERS
· Abhishek Choubey has earned fame and the nickname 'Steel Blades'
· The 18-year-old has pulled two cars and wants to go for a world record
· He says he's the only man with strong enough shoulders to complete feat