Saturday, July 21, 2012


A teenage boy has died after he fell from a boat being driven by his father and was apparently hit by its propeller, police said today.
The 14-year-old from Surrey, who has not been named, was with two school friends and his father aboard the rigid inflatable speedboat when two of the passengers suddenly fell overboard.
The drama happened a few hundred yards off The Needles on the Isle of Wight as they made their way across the water from Dorset.

 Landmark: Coastguards said a teenage boy suffered life-threatening injuries when he was hit with a propeller after falling from a boat near The Needles on the Isle of Wight

  It is thought once the boy had toppled overboard, the boat circled and the 14-year-old and another teenager were hit by the spinning propeller of the outboard engine.
The boy was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital on the mainland, where he later died.
The other boy, also aged 14, suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries, a coastguard spokeswoman said.
He is being treated at St Mary's Hospital in Newport on the island.
Hampshire and Isle of Wight Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident, which happened at about 4.50pm on Friday afternoon.

The coastguard rescue helicopter was already airborne on exercise and was quickly on the scene along with the Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat.
Tony Wheeler, watch manager at Solent Coastguard, said yesterday: 'We understand that two of the four people on board the rib fell into the water and have sustained injuries from the propeller.
'One has been airlifted and taken to Southampton General Hospital by the coastguard rescue helicopter, the other casualty has been taken by Yarmouth RNLI lifeboat to Yarmouth where they were met by the ambulance service and transferred to St Mary's Hospital, Isle of Wight.'
The remaining teenager, also aged 14, and the adult did not fall into the water and are unhurt.
They are being given counselling by specially trained police after seeing the incident.
Detective Inspector Floyd Higginson, of Hampshire Constabulary's Public Protection Department, said: 'Although the death is not being treated as suspicious, it is routine procedure for specialist detectives to make initial inquiries into the sudden death of someone aged under 18 years.
'We are providing support for the other three people on board the boat to help ensure their welfare and to establish the exact circumstances surrounding the death,' he said.
'A second 14-year-old boy from Surrey received a serious injury, which was not life-threatening. He is receiving treatment at St. Mary's Hospital on the Isle of Wight. An adult man and a third 14-year-old boy from Surrey were not injured.
'The rigid hull inflatable boat (RHIB) was taken by Hampshire Constabulary's Marine Unit to Hamble from Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight on Friday, July 20, 2012 to be secured as evidence pending further enquiries.
'Police would like to thank HM Coastguard, the RNLI and the NHS for their considerable assistance during the response to this emergency.'
The boy's next-of-kin have been informed but police have not formally identified him.

No comments: