Course Appetizers and Starters, Cuisine European, Serves 4, Cooking-Time 0hrs 0 mins
- 250g cooked small peeled prawns
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 200g mayonnaise
- 2-3 tbsps tomato ketchup
- pinch cayenne pepper
- dash tabasco
- dash worcestershire sauce
- splash brandy
- ½ iceberg lettuce
Method1. Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and carefully score each half using a small knife to create a criss-cross pattern.
2. Squeeze each half generously with lemon juice to prevent it from dis-colouring.
3. To make the Marie Rose sauce mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, cayenne pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice together in a large bowl.
4. Season to taste with Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, and a splash of brandy. Stir to combine.
5. Place a spoonful of Marie Rose sauce into the bottom of 4 serving glasses. Shred the lettuce and divide equally among the glasses. Scrape out the flesh from the avocado using a spoon and scatter over the lettuce. Spoon another layer of sauce on top.
6. Arrange the prawns on top and finish with a final spoonful of sauce (reserving any remaining sauce for future use). Sprinkle with a touch of cayenne pepper and garnish with a lemon wedge in each glass to serve.
This prawn cocktail recipe is a real 1970's classic